from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Capable of being defended
- n. A militia unit raised for homeland defense.
- n. A soldier in such a unit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Capable of being defended, or of making or affording defense.
- n. A soldier enlisted for home service only; -- usually in the pl.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Capable of being defended or of making defense.
- Pertaining to or composed of fencibles.
- n. A soldier enlisted for defense against invasion, and not liable to serve abroad: generally in the plural: as, the Warwickshire fencibles.
Latin defendere to defend (Wiktionary)