American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Informal An implausible, boastful story.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An incredible or extravagant narration or tale.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. [Colloq. U.S.] a story which taxes credulity; an extravagant or incredible narration.
- From the tendency of fishermen to exaggerate the size of their catch. (Wiktionary)
- From the fact that fishermen traditionally exaggerate the size of their catch. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He told this fish story about how a big white man killed José Diaz, like we were supposed to like him because he said the killer wasn’t Mexican.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fish story’.
you know that thing where the Eskimos have 50 words for snow?
Looking for tweets for fish story.