American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small fluffy mass or tuft.
- n. Anatomy Either of two small lobes on the lower posterior border of the cerebellum.
- n. Astronomy Any of various cloudlike masses of gases appearing as bright or dark patches on the surface of the sun.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small flock of wool or something resembling it; a small tuft; a shred; a flake.
- n. Specifically In anatomy, a tuft-like lobe of the cerebellar hemisphere on either side behind and below the middle peduncle of the cerebellum. The nodulus connects the two flocculi. Also called sub-peduncular lobe and pneumogastric lobule.
- n. In entomology, a small bunch of fine curved hairs; particularly, a bunch of stiff hairs found on the posterior coxæ of certain hymenopterous insects.
- n. In chem. and physics, a small aggregation of particles formed by the agitation of a liquid containing them.
- n. in astronomy, a name given by Hale to cloudy wisps, bright or dark, with which the sun's surface appears to be covered when photographed with the spectroheliograph by the light of some special wave-length, as, for instance, through a line in the spectrum due to some special element such as calcium, hydrogen, or iron.
- n. A small fluffy tuft
- n. anatomy Either of two small lobes on the posterior border of the cerebellum
- n. astronomy A marking on the surface of the sun associated with a solar prominence
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) A small lobe in the under surface of the cerebellum, near the middle peduncle; the subpeduncular lobe.
- New Latin, diminutive of Latin floccus, tuft of wool. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The flocculus is a prominent, irregular lobule, situated in front of the biventral lobule, between it and the middle cerebellar peduncle.”
“This part of the cerebellum, known as the flocculus, is responsible for integrating visual and balance signals during flight, allowing birds to judge the position of other objects in midflight.”
“About two centuries later, the Late Latin term “flocculus” found its way into English and was also used with the meaning “a small loosely aggregated mass.””
“On my way to trying to find that 'F' word, I learned that "fuliginous" means colored by soot, and the third definition of "flocculus" is a cloudlike mass of gas appearing on the sun's surface.”
“Within a few days this lip becomes applied to, and unites with, the outer surface of the main part of the alar lamina, and so covers in the tractus solitarius and also the spinal root of the trigeminal nerve; the nodulus and flocculus of the cerebellum are developed from the rhombic lip.”
“The flocculus and nodule are developed from the rhombic lip, and are therefore recognizable as separate portions before any of the other cerebellar lobules.”
“From the medulla oblongata, the glossopharyngeal nerve passes lateralward across the flocculus, and leaves the skull through the central part of the jugular foramen, in a separate sheath of the dura mater, lateral to and in front of the vagus and accessory nerves (Fig. 792).”
“The nerve passes along the internal auditory meatus with the vestibular nerve and across the subarachnoid space, just above the flocculus, almost directly medialward toward the inferior peduncle to terminate in the cochlear nucleus.”
“In the hemispheres this fissure passes in front of the tonsil, crosses between the flocculus in front and the biventral lobule behind, and joins the anterior end of the horizontal sulcus.”
“The base is directed forward, and is on a line with the anterior border of the tonsil, and is separated from the flocculus by the postnodular fissure.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flocculus’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
abducens.....draw..., ablation.....carr..., acetylcholine......., adrenalin.....nea..., afferent.....to c..., agnosia.....no kn..., alar.....wing-like, alexia.....no words, alveus.....canal, amacrine.....no l..., ambidextrous........, ambiguus.....doub... and 701 more...
I've no idea where I got this page full of words, but whatever it is, I want to find it again. May have duplicate words from other lists.
i can't never forget thiccyn's!
Looking for tweets for flocculus.