from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dense mass of fog defined against clearer surrounding air, often as viewed from a distance at sea.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a mass of fog resting upon the sea, and resembling distant land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stratum of fog as seen from a distance.
- n. An appearance at sea in hazy weather, sometimes resembling land at a distance, but vanishing as it is approached: sometimes called by sailors Cape Fly-away, Dutchman's Land, and No-man's Land.
- n. A term applied to a mist of condensing vapor of any liquid, not necessarily water, consisting in reality of an immense number of minute drops of the liquid in a state of suspension.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large mass of fog on the sea (as seen from a distance)
Sorry, no etymologies found.