American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To show in advance; prefigure.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To show, represent, or exhibit beforehand; foretoken.
- n. A sign given beforehand; a foretoken.
- n. obsolete A manifestation in advance; a prior indication.
- v. transitive, archaic To show in advance; to foretell, predict.
- v. transitive, obsolete To foreshadow or prefigure.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To show or exhibit beforehand; to give foreknowledge of; to prognosticate; to foretell.
- v. foretell by divine inspiration
- From fore- + show. (Wiktionary)
“To foreshow these is not prophecy, but prognostication.”
““And did the candle prognosticate, I mean foreshow his death?””
“Ruby looked about at the sky for any marks of cloud or air or light that might foreshow the weather, and what they told was snow and gathering cold.”
“I behold the day-break, I foreshow, that the sun, is about to rise.”
“For all things were done by Thy servants; either to show forth something needful for the present, or to foreshow things to come.”
“For all things done by those who obey thee either exhibit something necessary at that particular time or they foreshow things to come.”
“Like the birds of augury, the living beings of the heavens, having no lot or part with us, may serve incidentally to foreshow the future, but they have absolutely no main function in our regard.”
“For if the immortal gods foreshow us the future, by means of portents and prodigies, then it has been openly revealed to us that punishment is near at hand to him, and liberty to us.”
“There may have been nothing in her early manifestations of character to foreshow the noble womanhood into which she grew.”
“-- A visit from a dear friend; several pipes foreshow news from a man who is much in your thoughts.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘foreshow’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Another of my random palavery lists for terms and phrases that don't fit into any of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for foreshow.