from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. to work on a free-lance basis; to work as a freelancer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mercenary soldier during the middle ages, especially one of some rank, mounted and thoroughly armed and having followers or attendants. (Compare lance.) They were most conspicuous in Italy, where they were called condottieri. Also called free companion.
- n. Hence A person who acts upon his own will and pleasure, with little regard for the conventionalities of life; especially, one who uses great freedom in speech or writing, as in indiscriminate attack upon or objurgation of all who disagree with him.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. serving for wages in a foreign army
- adj. working for yourself
- n. a writer or artist who sells services to different employers without a long-term contract with any of them
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In an appearance Thursday on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, it was revealed the Emmy Award-winning actor had been a free-lance artist in the 1970s and '80s, working for The Boston Globe.
Fox News has reportedly fired free-lance gossip columnist Roger Friedman after he downloaded and reviewed a stolen copy of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
I need to see my accountant once a month because I'm still working (on a free-lance basis) and have to pay taxes every month.
Pennington and his family were subject to prolonged terror in a country where, for blacks, there was little effective difference between policemen and free-lance thugs.
"Big homes, you can see the money," says Raisa Chernina , a free-lance Russian television producer with a thick accent who is ferrying me around on a recent trip to the neighborhood.
The term freelance was first used by Sir Walter Scott to describe a medieval mercenary warrior, (a “free-lance”) in his novel Ivanhoe.
Convinced that the movie would redeem me, I swallowed Elizabeth's mandate and dutifully investigated free-lance line editors online.
For around $400, I would estimate that you could find a respectable free-lance artist to do a sample of five pages.
RIM directed David Sanchez, a free-lance developer in Sunnyvale, Calif., to a new software package that would let him use common tools for building Web applications to create BlackBerry apps as well.
It is unclear whether the free-lance fruit pickers operate in illegal territory.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.