from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To render gentile or gentlemanly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To live like a gentile or heathen.
- intransitive v. To act the gentleman; -- with it (see It, 5).
- intransitive v. To render gentile or gentlemanly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To render gentle, polite, or gentlemanly; raise to the rank of gentlemen.
- To live like a gentile, or like a heathen.
- To play the gentleman. Norden, Surveyor's Dialogue (1608).
gentile + -ize (Wiktionary)
It will _alone_ gentilize, if unmixed with cant; and I know nothing else that will, _alone_.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.