from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To hem and haw
- v. To maunder; to talk foolishly; to chatter; talking nonsense; to babble
- n. The cereal oats.
- n. One who has, possesses etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A possessor; a holder.
- n. The oat; oats.
- intransitive v. To maunder; to talk foolishly; to chatter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who has or possesses; a possessor.
- n. In Scots law, the holder of a deed or writing, who is called upon to produce it judicially, in modum probationis, or for inspection in the course of a process.
- n. Oats; the oat, Avena sativa.
- To talk foolishly or at random. Also haiver.
Germanic, from Dutch haver ("oats"), cognate with German Hafer. (Wiktionary)
have + -er (Wiktionary)