from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Pretentiously impressive; pompous: high-sounding oratory.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having an elevated or moralistic tone.
- adj. Oratorial or even contrived sounding.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pompous; noisy; ostentatious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of pompous or pretentious import; having an imposing sound: as, high-sounding titles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pretentious (especially with regard to language or ideals)
Sorry, no etymologies found.