from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Not: inarticulate. Before l, in- is usually assimilated to il-; before r to ir-; and before b, m, and p to im-. See Usage Note at un-1.
- In; into; within: inundation. Before l, in- is usually assimilated to il-; before r to ir-; and before b, m, and p to im-.
- Variant of en-1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Prefixed to certain words to give the senses of in, into, towards, within.
- in, into
- Used with certain words to reverse their meaning
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A prefix from Eng. prep. in, also from Lat. prep. in, meaning in, into, on, among. In words from the Latin, in- regularly becomes il- before l, ir- before r, and im- before a labial. In- is sometimes used with an simple intensive force.
- An inseparable prefix, or particle, meaning not, non-, un- as, inactive, incapable, inapt. In- regularly becomes il- before l, ir- before r, and im- before a labial.
This isn't kind of the happy-go-lucky, you know, naive guy that came in-
Ignoring the warning signs, Penn State and its agents gave Jerry Sandusky the golden key to paradise in- free reign to Paterno's sports kingdom where Sandusky could continue to molest young children under the guise of his charitable organization The Second Mile which he started allegedly to help young children.
Have to tuck the girls in- I promised them I would be home before they went to sleep!
But also, wasn't there some real Republican opportunism here in-
Understanding the psychology behind that reflex should help us tell stories and bridge the differences in ways that bring sustainability's in- and out-groups a lot closer together, and for the good of all.
So, what if those working in and for sustainability purposes tended to this in- versus out-group social categorization problem as part of our study and communications strategy development?
But the wisest thing to do is to be aware of in- and outflow, to clear up bad debt, and to invest your savings so that your money grows over time.
Everyone who loved his country should cultivate a spirit of conciliation both in- and outside the convention.
Ships set out once a month with reinforcements, repairs, representatives from any corp who needed to address problems with their dedicated servers—ships that plotted a top-secret course radioed to the captain on a special frequency only once the boat had X-rayed and analyzed every single thing, animate or in-, to come aboard.
Making a choice between in- and outpatient programs is not necessarily, however, an either/or situation, as the addict in your life may well need both at different points in time.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.