from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cause to burn to ashes.
- intransitive v. To burn completely.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To destroy by burning
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Reduced to ashes by burning; thoroughly consumed by fire.
- transitive v. To burn to ashes; to consume by fire; to burn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To burn to ashes.
- Burnt to ashes.
- To be reduced to ashes by the burning off of organic matter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. become reduced to ashes
- v. cause to undergo combustion
Medieval Latin incinerāre, incinerāt- : Latin in-, causative pref.; see in-2 + Latin cinis, ciner-, ashes.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin incinerātus, perfect participle of incinerō. (Wiktionary)