from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that insures, especially an insurance underwriter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who insures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, insures; the person or company that contracts to indemnify losses for a premium; an underwriter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which insures or makes sure or certain.
- n. One who contracts, in consideration of a stipulated payment called a premium, to indemnify a person or company against certain perils or losses, or against a particular event; an underwriter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a financial institution that sells insurance
Sorry, no etymologies found.