from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of equal tension.
- adj. Isosmotic.
- adj. Having the same concentration of solutes as the blood: an isotonic saline solution.
- adj. Physiology Of or involving muscular contraction in which the muscle remains under relatively constant tension while its length changes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having the same osmotic pressure
- adj. Having the same concentration of solutes as human blood.
- adj. having equal tension
- adj. Of or involving muscular contraction against resistance in which the length of the muscle changes. Antonym is isometric. Isotonic movements are either concentric (working muscle shortens) or eccentric (working muscle lengthens). See also Wikipedia:Isotonic (exercise physiology)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having or indicating, equal tones, or tension.
- adj. Having an osmotic pressure (tonicity) equal to that of a reference solution; -- of aqueous solutions. Contrasting with
hypotonicand hypertonic. See hypertonic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having or indicating equal tones.
- In physical chemistry, possessing or producing equal osmotic pressures; especially, having salts dissolved in such proportion as to occasion no change of volume in red blood-corpuscles put in contact with the solution.
- Relating to isotonia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or involving muscular contraction in which tension is constant while length changes
- adj. of two or more muscles; having equal tension
- adj. relating to or characterized by the equal intervals of a musical scale
- adj. (used of solutions) having the same or equal osmotic pressure
The magazine also included articles on fashion, food and gadgets such as the "Tensolator," which provided "bodybuilding isotonic tension," perhaps to make up for slow nights in the rumpus room.
The company touts the beverage as an isotonic, vitamin-rich, no-additive beverage with natural regenerative powers that help athletes recover from a workout.
Erdinger market their beer, amusingly, as an isotonic, low-calorie, vitamin enriched sports drink.
It deserves a sequel just like TS ... if you're too grown up to enjoy CARS, yea, whatever - go back to movies like SAW. isotonic
Enjoy with a bottle of isotonic energy drink, elctrolyte or just plain water
Well as I recall I drank a fine local brew although I think BSNYC was on the isotonic Guinness.
JozJonlin: Wow... most sports drinks are isotonic, or at least advertised as such at least in Spain, i don't know about the US, but i guessed they'd be the same
In the next phase of its growth, Ajemex is planning to introduce its own brands of low-priced isotonic sports drinks and bottled water.
There were rowing machines and spidery isotonic devices.
Because I'm not about to pay city prices for isotonic sports drinks.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.