from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who attends to the maintenance or cleaning of a building.
- n. A doorman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. someone who looks after the maintenance and cleaning of a public building.
- n. a doorman
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A door-keeper; a porter.
- n. One who is employed to care for a public building, or a building occupied for offices, suites of rooms, etc.; a caretaker; -- the duties may include removal of trash, cleaning of the rooms and public areas, and minor repairs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A doorkeeper; a porter.
- n. A man employed to take charge of rooms or buildings, to see that they are kept clean and in order, to lock and unlock them, and generally to care for them.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone employed to clean and maintain a building
Latin iānitor, doorkeeper, from iānua, door, from iānus, archway.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin ianitor (doorkeeper) (Wiktionary)