from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An aircraft takeoff aided by an auxiliary jet or rocket.
- n. An auxiliary jet-producing unit providing additional thrust for a takeoff.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An auxiliary jet engine in a detachable unit that provides extra power for the takeoff of an aircraft
- n. A takeoff assisted by such a unit
- n. A RATO unit or RATO takeoff - a rocket assisted take-off
j(et-)a(ssisted) t(ake)o(ff).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)