from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A long thin strip of metal (usually either two or four) extending from the head of a staff weapon (such as a halberd) down a certain length of the wooden shaft, secured with nails or screws and designed to prevent splitting or breakage of the wood.
- n. In some swords, an extension of the guard located on both flats of the blade, designed to fit tightly over the mouth of a scabbard and prevent accidental unsheathing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strap; thong; latchet (of a shoe).
- n. A chain for hobbling a horse.
- n. A lace used in the modern costume of the women of Holland.
Sorry, no etymologies found.