from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The infinity symbol (∞).
- n. Any closed curve (similar to a figure eight) described by a Cartesian equation of the form .
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In mathematics, related to the lemniscate of Bernoulli.
- In ichthyology, having a hyaline or transparent appearance and ribbonlike form; of or relating to the Lemniscati: as, a lemniscate fish.
- n. In mathematics:
- n. The locus of the point at which the tangent to an equilateral hyperbola meets the perpendicular let fall upon it from the center: a curve invented by James Bernoulli.
- n. Any crunodal curve of the fourth order having only one real branch, and this finite and symmetrical with respect to two axes.
- n. The locus of the point at which the tangent to a fixed conic is cut by a perpendicular let fall upon it from the center.
- n. A Cassinian: a misapplication of the word originating in Germany.
- n. The locus of the point in which the straight through the center and the projection of a point of a circle on a fixed tangent are cut by the perpendicular from this point to the diameter from the contact point.
From Latin lēmniscātus ("decorated with ribbons"). (Wiktionary)