from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A quadrilateral sail that lacks a boom, has the foot larger than the head, and is bent to a yard hanging obliquely on the mast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A quadrilateral sail bent upon a yard that crosses the mast obliquely; a lug.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A square sail bent upon a yard that hangs obliquely to the mast and is raised or lowered with the sail.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A quadrilateral sail bent upon a yard that hangs obliquely to the mast at about one third of its length: a common rig for boats of men-of-war. Also lug.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sail with four corners that is hoisted from a yard that is oblique to the mast
Possibly from lug1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)