from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thick plank, used for several mechanical purposes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plank to receive the mouth of a petard, with which it is applied to anything intended to be broken down.
- n. A plank or beam used for supporting the earth in mines or fortifications.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In milit. engin.
- n. In the seventeenth century, a heavy timber forming the chief or central part of the carriage of a cannon or mortar; hence, the whole carriage or mounting of a piece of artillery.
- n. A plank lined with tin and covered with earth for roofing over certain parts of military works, in order to afford protection in lodgments, etc.
- n. A plank used to support the earth in a mine, or in a moat or ditch to support a wall.