from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A West Indian tree (Mammea americana) having glossy leaves, white fragrant flowers, and large edible drupes.
- n. The fruit of this tree, having firm juicy flesh and toxic seeds. Also called mammee apple.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The evergreen tree Mammea americana, or its edible fruit
- n. The flowering plant Magnolia guatemalensis
- n. A tree Pouteria sapota, or its fruit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. globular or ovoid tropical fruit with thick russet leathery rind and juicy yellow or reddish flesh
- n. tropical American tree having edible fruit with a leathery rind
Spanish, from Arawak or Taino.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish mamey, from Taino. (Wiktionary)