from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several tropical American plants of the genus Maranta, including the arrowroot, having thin, ovate, usually spotted leaves and irregular flowers.
- n. An edible starch made from these plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of monocotyledonous plants of the natural order Zingiberaceœ, type of the tribe Maranteœ.
- n. [lowercase] A plant of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous herbs of the genus Maranta having tuberous starchy roots and large sheathing leaves
After Bartolomeo Maranta (died 1571), Italian herbalist.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)