Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An entertainment (especially a theatrical performance) or a reception held in the daytime, usually in the afternoon. [The general dinner-hour of early times having been at the close of the forenoon, the French matinée, like the English morning, is often considered as extending to the common modern dinner-hour in the evening, especially in cities.]
- n. A woman's dress for home wear in the forenoon, or up to the time when she dresses as for dinner or for going out. Its form and material change according to fashion.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A reception, or a musical or dramatic entertainment, held in the daytime. See soirée.
- n. a theatrical performance held during the daytime (especially in the afternoon)
- From French matinée (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘matinée’.
All these terms have a (different) American English equivalent. Wonder if you can identify them?
Looking for tweets for matinée.