Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hollow horizontal septum in the furnace of a steam-boiler, which, being filled with water, forms a sort of water-bridge, under and over which the flame of the fuel is caused to pass. The midfeather thus adds a very effective heating surface, while retaining the incandescent gases and rendering their combustion more complete before they pass into the cooler fiues or tubes of the boiler.
- n. A vertical water space in a firebox or combustion chamber within a steam boiler.
- n. mining A support for the centre of a tunnel.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Steam Boilers) A vertical water space in a fire box or combustion chamber.
- n. (Mining) A support for the center of a tunnel.
- mid- + feather (Wiktionary)
“-- The method of tenoning the bearers which carry the drawers, or the midfeather between two drawers, in a dressing table or similar carcase is here shown.”
“On completion, the tenons on the midfeather are wedged diagonally.”
‘midfeather’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for midfeather.