from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who advocates a moderate or conservative approach, action, or policy, as in a political or governmental organization.
- n. A practitioner of minimalism.
- adj. Of, relating to, characteristic of, or in the style of minimalism.
- adj. Being or providing a bare minimum of what is necessary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Believing in or seeking a minimal state; seeking to minimize or reduce to a minimum.
- n. One who believes in or seeks a minimal state; one who seeks to minimize or reduce to a minimum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. advocating minimal reforms (as in government or politics)
- n. a conservative who advocates only minor reforms in government or politics
- adj. of or relating to artistic minimalism
- n. a practitioner or advocate of artistic minimalism
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Outsiders often ascribe the word minimalist to the whole of 20th-century Danish design, but this one-of-a-kind piece is a full-blown fantasy rendered in wood.
The most intriguing idea suggested by Jo Murphy is what she calls the minimalist approach of just letting your lawn go wild because it "requires no work, and the average lawn owner acknowledges lack of control over nature and gives their time and energy to something else."
In a statement, the AFC said it recognises the crucial role the National Assembly has to perform in developing the country's fledgling democracy and that it takes very seriously what it called the minimalist efforts being made by the PPPC government to undermine the role of the parliamentary opposition.
:) I actually looked up the definition of the term minimalist, and I think I paraphrased it in there somewhere.
The large, square shape of the tub works well in minimalist and modern bathroom designs, and complements its generous size – 235 by 215 cm.
The film looks as though it could be an interesting exercise in minimalist horror, and I am curious to see the other “life-or-death” choices referenced in the plot synopsis.
There 's little doubt that "the new minimalist" is a direct response to the maximalism of the past few years (think fur, feathers and sequins).
There is a certain minimalist grace to his prose that I wish I could manage.
Who says that people have to live in minimalist boxes … ..
Balkin that Roberts has short term minimalist tendencies, but disagree on the long term implications of that.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.