from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ornament worn around the neck.
- n. Something felt to resemble this neck ornament, as in shape: a necklace of hundreds of tiny islands.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An article of jewelry that is worn around the neck, most often made of a string of precious metal, pearls, gems, beads or shells, and sometimes having a pendant attached.
- n. Anything resembling a necklace in shape.
- n. A method of informal execution in which a rubber tyre is filled with petrol, placed around the victim's chest and arms, and set on fire.
- v. To informally execute by setting on fire a petrol-filled rubber tyre which has been put around the bound victim's neck.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A string of beads, etc., or any continuous band or chain, worn around the neck as an ornament.
- n. A rope or chain fitted around the masthead to hold hanging blocks for jibs and stays.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To form into a necklace; encircle or surround with, or as with, a necklace.
- n. Any flexible ornament worn round the neck, us one of shells, coins, beads, or flowers.
- n. A band or tie for the neck, of lace, silk, or the like, worn by women.
- n. A noose or halter.
- n. Nautical, a chain about a lower mast, to which the futtock-shrouds were formerly secured; a strap girding a lower mast and carrying leading-blocks.
- n. In ceramics, a molding or continuous ornament applied to the shoulder or neck of a vase or bottle, especially when twisted, divided into beads, or the like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. jewelry consisting of a cord or chain (often bearing gems) worn about the neck as an ornament (especially by women)
Adorned on an adjustable 16.5 to 18 inch sterling silver chain, this necklace is appropriately finished with a classic heart-shaped clasp.
The testing has been validated and frankly they're ready to start buying and installing complete systems on those bridges to highlight what we call the necklace light application, which is the decorative lighting that moves along the cables at the top of the bridges.
The gold necklace is the focal point and it's smashing!
My belle-mère's* pearl necklace is just peeking out of the t-shirt's neckline; the combination frog t-shirt-with-pearl accoutrement makes an amusing, if unintended, fashion statement.
Her Autism Speaks with Hope necklace is made of sterlingsilver and 18-karat gold, and 50% of proceeds benefits Autism Speaks. $449 at autismspeaks. org.
Browse Binns jewelry at a variety of prices, including this necklace from the Anti-Luxxx collection for $470, at Binns 'new store, 41 Perry St.,
The necklace is positioned to be flipping upwards as in the art, but I had some trouble with getting it all to look right.
Sure the neighbors are kooky, Rosemary's first friend in the building jumps out a window, and her new tannis root necklace is a bit smelly, but it's worth it for being so close to Central Park, right?
The glowing time of a quality glowing necklace is 8-12 hours, long enough for most night events.
This manner of necklace is not uncommon, but most are more elaborate ... a showy sort of memorial.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.