from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bollard made from an old cannon.
- n. A geode.
- n. A coneflower.
- n. An isolated part of a coral reef.
- n. (Can we clean up(+) this sense?) A tussock (clump of plant material), found on tundra.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A strong black chewing tobacco, usually in twisted plug form; negro head.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An inferior kind of tobacco pressed in a twisted form.
- n. A rounded boulder or rock; especially, a roundish black rock on the coast of Florida, sometimes covered with only a few inches of water.
- n. Also, applied to boulders of chromite in the region north of Baltimore, Maryland, and generally, among English-speaking peoples, to any tough black rock in loose boulders.
- n. In swampy land, tufts or clumps of sedge and grass growing up stiffly, and somewhat resembling a black head.
- n. A spool or capstan for lifting or hauling, formed on the end of a shaft which is turned by power: so callod bocause it is usually black. Also known as a wildcat.
- n. In botany:
- n. The cone-flower or black-eyed-Susan, Rudbeckia hirta.
- n. The common greenbrior or catbrior, Smilax rotundifolia.
- n. A towing bitt; an upright timber to which towing hawsers are secured.
- n. A fresh-water mussel, Quadrula ebena, of the Mississippi River, used in the manufacture of pearl buttons. It is rather small with a thick shell and a black or dark brown outer skin.
Nigger + head: various things were so called because they were thought to resemble a black person's head. (Wiktionary)