from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due north and due west, or 45° west of due north.
- n. An area or region lying in the northwest.
- n. A historical region of the north-central United States west of the Mississippi River and north of the Missouri River.
- n. A region of the northwest United States, generally including Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
- adj. To, toward, of, facing, or in the northwest.
- adj. Originating in or coming from the northwest: a northwest wind.
- adv. In, from, or toward the northwest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The compass point halfway between north and west, bearing 315°, abbreviated as NW.
- adj. Towards the northwest, northwestwards, northwestern
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The point in the horizon between the north and west, and equally distant from each; the northwest part or region.
- n. The northwestern part of the contiguous forty-eight states of the United States, especially the states of Washington and Oregon.
- adj. Pertaining to, or in the direction of, the point between the north and west; being in the northwest; toward the northwest, or coming from the northwest.
- adj. Coming from the northwest.
- adv. Toward the northwest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That point on the horizon which lies between the north and west and is equidistant from them.
- n. With the definite article, a region or locality lying in the northwestern part of a country, etc., or in a direction bearing northwest from some point or place indicated; specifically , in the United States, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, etc.
- Pertaining to the point or being in the direction between the north and west; northwesterly.
- Proceeding from the northwest: as, a northwest wind. Abbreviated N. W.
- To or from the northwest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the northwestern region of the United States
- adj. coming from the northwest
- adj. situated in or oriented toward the northwest
- n. a location in the northwestern part of a country, region, or city
- adv. to, toward, or in the northwest
- n. the direction corresponding to the northwestward compass point
- n. the compass point midway between north and west; at 315 degrees
From north + west (Wiktionary)