from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who has recently become rich, especially one who flaunts newly acquired wealth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. New money; wealthy persons whose fortunes are newly acquired, and who are therefore perceived to lack the refinement of those who were raised wealthy.
- adj. Newly rich; like a nouveau riche.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A person newly rich. Contrasted with
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- One who has recently acquired wealth; one newly enriched; hence, a wealthy upstart; a parvenu.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characteristic of someone who has risen economically or socially but lacks the social skills appropriate for this new position
- n. a person who has suddenly risen to a higher economic status but has not gained social acceptance of others in that class
French : nouveau, new + riche, rich.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French nouveau riche (literally "new rich"). (Wiktionary)