from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person regarded as stupid or clumsy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An elf's child; a changeling left by fairies or goblins, hence, a deformed or foolish child.
- n. A person, especially a large male, who is clumsy or a simpleton; an idiot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Originally, an elf's child; a changeling left by fairies or goblins; hence, a deformed or foolish child; a simpleton; an idiot.
- n. A clumsy or awkward person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In popular superstition, a changeling; a foolish or otherwise defective child left by fairies in the place of another carried off by them.
- n. A dolt; an idiot; a blockhead; a simpleton.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an awkward stupid person
This bulbous oaf is richer than his breakfast cheesecake.
We are only groping toward the effective expression oaf democratic doctrine, and today what do we see?
If you don't make her warm enough for wiving, you're an oaf, which is not in my blood -- nor your mother's, to be honest.
He pleads his dependence upon the word oaf God and his obedient regard to its directions: Quicken and deliver me according to thy word of promise, for I do not forget thy precepts.
Anagram for "oaf," from the man who famously took the "oaf of office."
His expression indicated that he’d never in his life been called an oaf.
We stare at each other for countless seconds, then he bends down and drives an 'oaf' from me when his shoulder meets my belly a bit harder than is really necessary.
The 'oaf' is apparently entertaining the troops in Afghanistan and staying in an operational post not in Kabul.
Cameron's so called health reforms assisted by his oaf of a Minister, Lansley will lead to even greater health inequalities in this country.
Older oaf appears and tells bobby about the law and warrants etc.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.