from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To stand out plainly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To resist effectually; withstand; sustain without yielding.
- v. To surpass in standing; stand or remain beyond; outstay.
- v. To project outward from the main body; stand out prominently; be prominent.
- v. To stand out to sea.
- v. To stand over; remain untouched, unimpaired, unsettled, uncollected, unpaid, or otherwise undetermined.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To stand out, or project, from a surface or mass; hence, to remain standing out.
- transitive v. To resist effectually; to withstand; to sustain without yielding.
- transitive v. To stay beyond.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To resist effectually; withstand; sustain without yielding.
- To stand or remain beyond; outstay.
- To project outward from the main body; stand out prominently; be prominent.
- To stand out to sea.
- To stand over; remain untouched, unimpaired, unsettled, uncollected, unpaid, or otherwise undetermined: as, outstanding contracts.
At first I thought nothing could possible outstand the Psy-Changeling series in your special dimension, but you made it!
Total state and local debt outstand ing hit $200 million by 1840 and about $1 billion by 1880 ($22 billion in today's dollars).
He had of course researched her stats, and learned that she was of average intelligence and creativity and per - sonality, and below average in motivation; only her outstand - ing body displaced her from the ordinary.
Gag alert: She just impresses the hell out of me as an outstand career woman and has a good vibe and energy and I admire her as an individual.
We need a woman President — and she would make an outstand-ing president of the United States!
Or, as per Kirk, the real animals standing outstand waiting for attention to be petted?
He will outstand in his family and will be a source of great pride and honor to his parents, brothers, and sisters.
KING: We'll talk more, and we'll include your phone calls with our outstand panel.
West Branch of the NP Youth and the UCDP Youth with their outstand - ing effort in coming together.
The snow still lay a foot thick over the ground, thawing a little in sunny spots; the trees quite bare and brown, the buds even of the early maples hardly showing colour; the blessed evergreens alone doing their utmost to redeem the waste, and speaking of patience and fortitude that can brave the blast and outstand the long waiting, and cheerfully bide the time when "the winter shall be over and gone."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.