from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to preside over, govern, rule; to control
- v. to conquer, gain control or owndom of
- v. to grasp, comprehend; to understand
- v. to neglect, omit; to desist, refrain from, forbear
- v. to overstay, outstay, overlinger
- v. to be misunderstood; to misread, misunderstand
- n. governance, authority, possession, control
From Middle English oversitten ("to gain possession of"), from Old English ofersittan ("to occupy, possess; forbear"), from Proto-Germanic *uber (“over”) + *sitjanan (“to sit”), corresponding to over- + sit. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.