from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Set off within or as if within parentheses; qualifying or explanatory: a parenthetical remark.
- adj. Using or containing parentheses.
- n. A parenthetical word, phrase, or remark.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. using, containing, or within parentheses (like this)
- adj. that explains or qualifies something
- adj. that is incidental
- n. a word or phrase within parentheses
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of a parenthesis; expressed as or in a parenthesis: as, a parenthetical clause.
- Using or containing parentheses: as, a parenthetical style.
- Occurring like a parenthesis or episode; incidental.
- Curved; bowed; resembling in shape the marks called parentheses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. qualifying or explaining; placed or as if placed in parentheses
- n. an expression in parentheses
Sorry, no etymologies found.