from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An outdoor space for dining or recreation that adjoins a residence and is often paved.
- n. A roofless inner courtyard, typically found in Spanish and Spanish-style dwellings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A paved outside area, adjoining a house, used for dining or recreation.
- n. An inner courtyard typical of traditional Spanish houses.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A paved yard or floor where ores are cleaned and sorted, or where ore, salt, mercury, etc., are trampled by horses, to effect intermixture and amalgamation.
- n. In Spain, Spanish America, etc., a court or courtyard of a house or other building; esp., an inner court open to the sky.
- n. A usually paved area adjacent to a dwelling, used for outdoor lounging, dining, receptions of guests, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Spain and Spanish-American countries, a court or inclosure connected with a house, and open to the sky.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. usually paved outdoor area adjoining a residence
Like decorating every other space that resides inside your home, the furniture for your patio is also governed by the available space.
In truth, the patio is the hub of activity for a large and loving family.
The quiet in the patio is a sharp contrast to the busy streets outside.
Given the beautiful summer weather, the patio is also open to enjoy.
The patio is going to end up looking very leafy if I succeed with any of this.
One look at the retro-shaped swimming pool and curved brick patio is enough to cue the lounge music and break out the cocktails, but the home is still enough of a blank slate to encourage what the official listing calls a "re-interpretation" of the home into a "Martini Modern style."
In the back patio is another bar and cigar room, with a display case of stogies for sale ($15).
Staff Photo by D. Patrick Harding Having successfully built 4 unit condos at Creeks Bend Village, developer Roger Radpour has expanded the sub-division to include single home units called patio homes.
This chill session at Little Miss Whiskey's makes great use of its patio, which isn't always available during peak nights because the crowds are too large.
Galaxy Hut I love the Galaxy Hut's tiny patio, which is about as wide as a downtown sidewalk.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.