from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or being the marine teleost fishes of the order Pediculati, characterized by pectoral fins extending from an armlike process and a dorsal fin ray that serves as a lure for prey.
- n. A pediculate fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the Pediculati.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Pediculati.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Provided with a pedicle or pedicels; pedicellate; pedunculate.
- Pertaining to the Pediculati, or having their characters: as, a pediculate fish.
- n. A pediculate fish; any member of the pediculati.
From New Latin Pediculātī, order name, from Latin pediculus, diminutive of pēs, ped-, foot; see pedi-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.