Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An altarpiece consisting of a central part and double-folding wings on each side.
- n. A screen of five leaves.
- n. A picture, or combination of pictures, consisting of a centrepiece and double folding doors or wings, as for an altarpiece.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Fine Arts) A picture, or combination of pictures, consisting of a centerpiece and double folding doors or wings, as for an altarpiece.
- penta- + Ancient Greek πτυχή ("a fold"). (Wiktionary)
“We shall call attention here only to the best-known specimen that has been preserved, the pentaptych in the treasury of Milan cathedral the central division of this is ornamented by this process with the paschal lamb and the cross.”
“Conceived in the mid-1830s, Cole's great pentaptych has a clear message: all empires, no matter how magnificent, are condemned to decline and fall.”
“story sale: the apokalypsis pentaptych to qarrtsiluni”
Looking for tweets for pentaptych.