from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A telephone.
- intransitive v. To telephone.
- transitive v. To get in touch with by telephone.
- transitive v. To impart (information or news, for example) by telephone.
- transitive v. To make a telephone call to (a specific number): Phone 411 for directory assistance.
- n. A speech sound considered without reference to its status as a phoneme or an allophone in a language.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device for transmitting sound in real time across distances.
- v. To call (someone) on the telephone.
- n. A speech segment that possesses distinct physical or perceptual properties, considered as a physical event without regard to its place in the phonology of a language.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Colloq. for telephone.
- n. a speech sound.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To telephone.
- n. A sound; a vocal sound; a tone produced by the vibration of the vocal cords; one of the primary elements of utterance. See phonate, phonetic.
- n. A telephone: generally applied to the receiver, but sometimes to the whole apparatus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
- n. electronic equipment that converts sound into electrical signals that can be transmitted over distances and then converts received signals back into sounds
- n. electro-acoustic transducer for converting electric signals into sounds; it is held over or inserted into the ear
- v. get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone
I entered "replace existing phone" and the phone#/zip/SSN.
$_POST [ 'city']; $zip = $_POST [ 'zip']; $phone = $_POST [ 'phone']; $fax = $_POST [ 'fax'];
- Long Zheng was quick to dig around in last night's updated Zune software, and quick to find reference to a % phone% (good work, btw!), and this just a day after Microsoft denied publically to Mary Jo Foley that the Zune update had anything to do with Zune/phone.
Firstly, what is the last time you called this contact by phone, and by using what phone#
For instance, if your project is to change your plumbing, the next action will be "look up phone number of the plumber in the agenda @phone" and not "call the plumber".
But possibly solitary confinement and juggling the kiddy porn and the coin phone is just to much for a special person like yourself to handle.
In most Euro countries, wiretapping your phone is a purely administrative trick, with no messy judicial intervention.
The cost of the phone is the last of it; you also have to add in the cost of a required service plan you might not have otherwise bought, the cost of any apps you buy and - most important - the opportunity cost of not being able to switch to a better phone for another two years without paying early-termination fees.
That's why, according to Nielsen, the first they thing look for in a phone is a QWERTY raised keyboard, as opposed to touch screens.
Agreed ... you call them your friends for a reason, my phone is always on and if any one of my friends needed anything day or night I would be there, have been there, and will always be there.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.