from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of pipelay.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The laying of conducting pipes underground, as for water, gas, etc.
- The act or method of making combinations for personal advantage secretly or slyly; -- in this sense, usually written as one word.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of laying down pipes for gas, water, and other purposes.
- n. A laying of plans for the promotion or accomplishment of some scheme or purpose, especially a political one; scheming or intriguing. See the quotation under pipe-layer, 2.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
When the pipeline extends over flat terrain, pipelaying units locate mobile pumping stations at approximately 9-mile intervals.
A recently developed pipelaying machine requires only two operators to lay and couple pipe.
Although pipelaying, plumbing, pipefitting, and steamfitting sometimes are considered a single trade, workers generally specialize in one of five areas.
Includes footage of fisherman Pat O'Donnell facing down the Solitaire pipelaying ship & Irish Navy in Broadhaven Bay while protecting his livelihood.
While there are many concerns over the entire project the main concerns that have been identified by the fishermen regarding the pipelaying and subsequent cables that will be in place are as follows:
The startling bill for just one month was run up as the energy giant called in the world's largest pipelaying vessel, The Solitaire, and protesters took to the sea.
In skilled trades in particular, such as masonry, pipelaying and plumbing, companies are finding too few younger recruits to replace workers expected to retire in the coming years, trade associations and federal labor data indicate.
However, the Corrib gas partners - Shell, Statoil and Marathon - have already signalled to Mr Ryan's department that they are "preparing for activities to commence" on pipelaying offshore to the landfall at Glengad.
Measures to "mitigate" the effect of the pipelaying work on the Special Protection Area
Irish Times: SHELL HAS hinted it may call off pipelaying operations off the Co Mayo coast for the winter after the boat carrying out the work was damaged.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.