from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fairylike or elfin creature, especially one that is mischievous; a playful sprite.
- adj. Playfully mischievous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A playful sprite, elflike or fairy-like creature.
- n. a cute, petite woman with short hair
- n. an upper-atmospheric optical phenomena associated with thunderstorms, a short-lasting pinpoint of light on the surface of convective domes that produces a gnome.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See pixy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (folklore) fairies that are somewhat mischievous
- n. creeping evergreen shrub having narrow overlapping leaves and early white star-shaped flowers; of the pine barrens of New Jersey and the Carolinas
Although the word "pixie" is commonly associated with dainty fairies and forest sprites, the
When McCarthy asked Welch to define "pixie," Welch replied pointedly, "a pixie is a close relative of a fairy."
"I was quoting a friend of mine," said Fiorina, who lost her hair during cancer treatment and is now sporting what my mother would call a pixie cut.
The airbrush motor hums, and my cake is transformed like magic, with a little of what Duff calls pixie dust.
I'd like to see you clarify your remark about the "nasty old Constitution"... liberals respect it, whereas conservatives just seem to use "Constitution" as some kind of magic-word pixie-dust without understanding it at all in an attempt to endorse their anti-American agenda.
The pixie is a very good haircut for thinning hair.
Welch said, '' Yes, I should say, Mr. Senator, that a pixie is a close relative to a fairy.
Welch: Yes, I should say, Senator, that a pixie is a close relative of a fairy.
"I don't know what kind of pixie dust she sprinkled on those kids, but she was the only counselor to have student films dedicated to her."
What the hell kind of pixie hits a junkie over the head with a *wand*?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.