from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who is a member of a police force.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of a police force, especially one who is male.
- n. A glass rod capped at one end with rubber, used in a chemistry laboratory for gravimetric analysis.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A member of a body of police; a constable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the ordinary police, whose duty it usually is to patrol a certain beat for a fixed period, for the protection of property and for the arrest of offenders, and to see that the peace is kept.
- n. In entomology, a soldier-ant.
- n. In coal-mining, a wood or iron guard around or covering the mouth of a pit, or placed at mid-workings.
- n. A kind of swab, used for cleaning vials, etc., made by slipping a piece of rubber tubing over the end of a glass rod.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of a police force
police + -man (Wiktionary)