from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. History of humankind in the period before recorded history.
- n. The circumstances or developments leading up to or surrounding a situation, event, or development; background: "[He] then told me the curious prehistory of his obsessive interest in the seduction theory” ( Janet Malcolm).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The history of human culture prior to written records.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. History prior to recorded history.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the time during the development of human culture before the appearance of the written word
pre- + history. (Wiktionary)