from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or serving a purpose.
- adj. Purposeful: purposive behavior.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having or indicating purpose or design.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having an aim or purpose; having an end in view; purposeful.
- Accomplishing some end; functional; useful in animal or vegetable economy: applied in biology to parts and organs which are not rudimentary or vestigial, and may therefore be regarded as teleological.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or showing or acting with a purpose or design
- adj. having a purpose
From purpose + -ive. Compare purpositive. (Wiktionary)