from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The carpal bone in the tetrapod forelimb that corresponds to the scaphoid bone in humans
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The bone or cartilage of the carpus which articulates with the radius and corresponds to the scaphoid bone in man.
- n. Radial plates in the calyx of a crinoid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology and anatomy:
- n. The radiocarpal bone; that bone of the wrist which is situated on the radial side of the proximal row of carpals. in special relation with the radius. In man this bone is the scaphoid. Compare ulnare, and see cuts under hand and carpus.
- n. One of the rays of the cup of a crinoid. See radial, n. , and cut under Crinoidea.
- n. A cartilage radiating from the base of the fins of elasmobranchiate fishes. See cut under ptorygium
- n. Same as radial, n. . See hypercoracoid.
Sorry, no etymologies found.