from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various birds with red plumage, as the cardinal or scarlet tanager.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several unrelated birds having red plumage, but especially the cardinal.
- n. Any of various red cars formerly used in the New York City subway system.
- n. A train of such cars.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The cardinal bird.
- n. The summer redbird (Piranga rubra).
- n. The scarlet tanager. See tanager.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of sundry red or partly red birds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. crested thick-billed North American finch having bright red plumage in the male
- n. the male is bright red with black wings and tail
Sorry, no etymologies found.