from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pin in the form of a clasp, having a sheath to cover and hold the point.
- n. A pin that prevents the premature or accidental detonation of an explosive device, such as a bomb or grenade.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a pin, in the form of a clasp, that has a guard to cover the sharp point; used to join two pieces of fabric etc together temporarily
- n. the pin of a hand grenade that prevents accidental detonation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a pin made in the form of a clasp, with a guard covering its point so that it will not prick the wearer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pin bent back on itself, the bend forming a spring, and having the point fitting into a kind of sheath, so that it may not be readily withdrawn or prick the wearer or others while in use.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pin in the form of a clasp; has a guard so the point of the pin will not stick the user
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.