from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection.
- transitive v. To engage in schmoozing with: "how to be a professional artist—how to be a businessperson, how to schmooze the collectors” ( Paige Powell).
- n. The act or an instance of schmoozing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To talk casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection
- n. A casual conversation, especially one held in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an informal conversation
- v. talk idly or casually and in a friendly way
He had no business spending time with a woman who could say the word schmooze and make him forget his own name.
Also, von Braun's ability to popularize space travel/"schmooze" his way through Army/NASA/DC bureaucracy was in another class.
So let me guess – this is a "schmooze" get together to try to get the cops on their side.
Master of the Blog Balkin has encouraged me to post some comments I prepared for the "schmooze" on Sandy Levinson's book.
I'm with Mr. Link; the "schmooze" sounds like a slice of heaven.
This is not a gimmick or a "schmooze" as we call it in the trade.
As for the skill set required to "schmooze" a room of execs, it's not really that different from trying to convince a jury of twelve that your client's "story" is the one they should vote for.
According to the Daily Mail, the glamour girl was spotted trying to "schmooze" advertising executives when she attended Sir Elton John's annual post-Oscars party on Sunday night.
VideoSchmooze Inspires Journos Not To Write I always approach an event that is fearless in declaring itself a "schmooze" with trepidation.
Because Mantle had learned how to "schmooze" with the New York media, they tended to like him.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.