from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who scoops.
- n. Something that scoops.
- n. The avocet, a bird that scoops up the mud to obtain food.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, scoops.
- n. The avocet; -- so called because it scoops up the mud to obtain food.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which scoops; specifically, a tool used by engravers on wood for cleaning out the white parts of a block. It somewhat resembles a small chisel, but is rounded underneath instead of being flat.
- n. The scooping avoset: so called from the peculiar shape of the bill.
scoop + -er. (Wiktionary)