from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A substance, such as sealing wax, used to seal a surface to prevent passage of a liquid or gas.
- n. A plastic resin used in dentistry to coat the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to prevent the growth of cavity-causing bacteria.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any material used to seal a surface so as to prevent passage of a fluid.
- n. A mixture of polymers, fillers, and pigments used to fill and seal joints where moderate movement is expected.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a kind of sealing material that is used to form a hard coating on a porous surface (as a coat of paint or varnish used to size a surface)
Sorry, no etymologies found.