Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tree of the genus Cordia; also, its plum-like fruit. There are two species. C. Myxa, the more important, is found from Egypt to India and tropical Australia; the other is the East Indian C. obliqua (C latifolia). In the East their dried fruit is used medicinally for its demulcent properties; it was formerly so used in Europe. In India the natives pickle the fresh fruit. Also called
Assyrianor sebesten plum.
- n. botany The mucilaginous drupaceous fruit of two East Indian trees (Cordia myxa and Cordia latifolia), sometimes used medicinally in pectoral diseases.
- n. botany, West Indies The similar fruit of Cordia sebestana.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) The mucilaginous drupaceous fruit of two East Indian trees (Cordia Myxa, and Cordia latifolia), sometimes used medicinally in pectoral diseases.
- Arabic word for the tree. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sebesten’.
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
Looking for tweets for sebesten.