American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having some official authority or sanction.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Partly official; having some degree of official authority; made upon information from those who have official knowledge: as, a semi-official confirmation of a report; a semi-official organ.
- adj. Bearing some but not all the power of being official. As a semioffical opinion that is offered as probably correct and accurate but may be overturned on review and replaced by an official statement.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Half official; having some official authority or importance.
- adj. having some official authority or sanction
“Unfortunately, the consequence was, that I did not understand a word that was said at dinner -- a kind of semiofficial reception.”
“The spirit shed eventually became the one semiofficial, adult-sanctioned place where it was okay for the kids to declare themselves to the world.”
“Fars News Agency, the semiofficial Iranian news agency announced yesterday that "the elements of unlawful assembly hypocrites, monarchists, thugs and intrigue in some streets of Tehran with a pretext to support the people of Egypt and Tunisia, held slogans in support of the people of Egypt and Tunisia.”
“That decision came even as Mr. He's committee—a semiofficial standard-setting body—in the same year adopted standards that recommended installing those lightning-protection devices for big structures such as high-rise buildings and tall bridges.”
“After my appointment is approved I will be using Khatam al-Anbiya for oil contracts along with other domestic contractors," Gen. Ghasemi told the semiofficial Fars News Agency on Wednesday.”
“Heavy snow complicated rescue efforts, said the head of the State Emergency Canter, Gholam Reza Masoumi, according to the semiofficial Fars news agency.”
“Heavy snow hampered rescue efforts, the semiofficial Fars news agency cited the head of the state emergency center, Gholam Reza Masoumi, as saying.”
“The pilots of the Boeing-727, operated by Iran's national airline, attempted the emergency landing in the city of Orumiyeh after reporting a technical failure to the control tower, the semiofficial Mehr news agency reported, quoting a deputy provincial governor, Ebrahim Fatholahi.”
“Disobeying him is tantamount to opposing God, hardline cleric Ali Saeedi was quoted as saying by the semiofficial Fars news agency.”
“Canal traffic wasn't affected, the the semiofficial daily al-Ahram reported.”
Looking for tweets for semiofficial.