from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something, such as land or a certain percentage of profits, that is set aside for a specific purpose.
- n. A federal program requiring that a certain percentage of government funds and contracts be reserved for businesses owned by women and members of minority groups.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. something that is set aside for a specific purpose
- n. land that has been taken out of agricultural production to reduce crop surpluses
- adj. that has or have been set aside
- adj. taken out of agricultural production
- adj. reserved or booked in advance
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. reserved in advance
Sorry, no etymologies found.
For nearly a decade after that, it thrived on winning so-called "set-aside" contracts providing computer-systems integration for civilian agencies.
One solution would be to remove some allowances from the market to create a shortage, a measure called set-aside.
Thanks to President Carter, she became honorary chair of the Federal Council on the Arts and Humanities, where she established herself as a champion of art in public spaces and helped establish a set-aside for arts funding in the construction of new federal buildings.
Interesting side note - why didn't the end of the acreage set-aside result in the full increase of 20 million acres that one might expect, rather than just 5?
That's the land they'd put into the government set-aside program, not their prime bottom land.
Replacement of the acreage set-aside program in grain crops (which typically had about 20 million participating acres) with direct price supports has resulted in an increase of about 5 million cultivated grain acres since 1996.
The Small Business Administration has overhauled the rules for its main set-aside contracting program, a reform effort that agency officials said is aimed at reducing fraud and ensuring that money and other benefits flow to the right people.
In 10 case studies, GAO's investigations found that those counterfeit businesses received roughly $100 million in service-disabled, veteran-owned small business sole-source and set-aside contracts, said
House panel told of abuses in VA set-aside program
In the spirit of reaching feasible solutions that truly alleviate the unemployment crises for Americans, it is time to set-aside our past pre-conceptions and usual ways of proceeding and find compromises for a new vision.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.